Monday, August 8, 2011

Size matters.

I had intended to enthrall you all with a post about what a pain in the kerswatchy it is to do laundry during this remodel because in order to do laundry, we have to hook up the washer, do a load, unhook the washer, hook up the dryer and then dry that load which means I can't have the washer going at the same time as the dryer and it's an all day effort to do more than one load of laundry and I can NOT wait until the new washer and dryer arrive and are installed and I can do as much laundry as my little heart desires.  And who would have thought I'd be saying that?

HOWEVER, something else came along that got my panties in a twist and I must rant about it.  Or kvetch, if you will.


I was reading the latest issue of "O" magazine ("The MAKEOVER ISSUE!") and one of the features had me asking, "Who are you trying to kid?"


It was about 5 women who had each lost over 100lbs and while I say "Bravo!" to them losing the weight, I also have to say "You're out of your fucking mind!" to their so-called new clothing sizes.


Clothing sizes today have become so ridiculous that it's not even funny.  Back when I was in high school, I weighed 120lbs and was considered "skinny."  And I wore a size 7.  There was none of this Size 0 and Size 00 bullshit.

But according to "O", we're supposed to believe that someone who weighs almost 180lbs is a size 8 and someone who weighs 139lbs is also a size 8.  And the woman who weighs 155lbs is a size 4.  


Please.  I weigh about the same as one of the women (and no, I'm not saying which one so don't ask) and there is no fucking way I can fit into a size 8.  Or 10.  Or 12.  Even if I wore Spanx.

And yes, I know that people are built differently which is why, allegedly, someone who is 180lbs can "fit" into a size 8 and yes, I know muscle weighs more than fat but at least one of the "I'm a Size 8!" women still looks pretty "Plus Sized" to me. 

I hate shopping for clothes these days because of the sizing issue.  A size X at one store is a size Z at another.


I know these sizes are meant to appeal to our vanity so that someone who is 5'4 and weighs 180lbs can claim she wears a Size 8.


The blurb on the cover of "O" states, "How 5 Women Lost 676 lbs and what you can gain from their stories."


What I gained is disbelief in clothing sizes for women today.


EDIT:  Several years ago I did Weight Watchers, which focused on, well, WEIGHT loss (hence the name) and I was exercising regularly, I wasn't losing weight and, in fact, GAINED weight but I WAS losing inches and therefore, my clothing size went down and I developed a penchant for using lots of commas in a single sentence.


However, I'm still not buying the sizes that many people are claiming they wear.  And I wish that magazines would stop emphasizing size in their articles because I'm just not buying some of the size claims.


And that's my story and I'm sticking to it.





1 comment:

  1. Yes, yes.......when I was young I went down to 105 lbs and my ribs and hip bones stuck out all over and I still needed a size 10 or 12.

    Sizes today are insane and so is the Sick Vanity that they cater to.

    ReplyDelete