Saturday, May 28, 2011

Why do you think they call it "Dope?"

Okay, so I've had this cough for several days now.  I'll go for hours without coughing and then BAM!  That incredibly annoying tickle in the back of my throat starts up and all hell breaks loose.

When I went to bed last night, I was feeling much better and decided to forgo my nightly cough syrup.

And woke up at 2:00am coughing my fool head off.  I coughed and coughed and coughed and I knew this was going to be bad so I got out of bed and headed to the medicine cabinet.

While I was waiting for the OTC cough syrup to take effect, I sat at my computer and played Solitaire while cough cough coughing.

30 minutes later, I'm still coughing and losing at Solitaire and TheManTheMyth comes into the office holding the bottle of the "Good" cough syrup, the stuff with codeine in it and says, "I think you need to take this."

I'm not a "pill person."  If I'm in pain, have cramps or what have you, I take ibuprofen.  Anything that requires a doctor's prescription and advises you against operating any kind of heavy machinery while under the influence of said prescription is the kind of stuff I like to avoid.

In other words, I don't medicate.  When I messed up my foot in an ATV accident a couple of years ago, 
I turned down the doctor's offer of "Good" pain meds.  Which seemed to upset quite a few people who told me that if *I* didn't want those pills, they knew plenty of other people who did and I could have got some extra spending money.

Anyway.

So I'm coughing and hacking and gasping and coughing and trying to tell TMTM that I don't want to take that stuff and he shoves the bottle at me and barks, "DRINK!"

So I do.

The Good News is it worked.  I slept the rest of the night without nary a cough.


The Bad News is, I feel like the Living Dead.  Right now, it's 12:30pm PST and I am OUT OF IT.  Everything sounds like I'm hearing it from under water, my head feels like it weighs 20 lbs and wants to tip over.  There's a weird buzzing noise and I'm all jittery and jangly and this is why I don't take this stuff.


But at least my cough has stopped.





1 comment:

  1. I am absolutely horrified by that picture of your foot! I'm an ibuprofen person too, but good golly, if my foot looked like that, I'd take anything offered. More power to you. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete