One week ago, Thing 1 came home with a little surprise for us.
And I said, "No. Absolutely not."
Then a little while later, I said, "Okay but only for a couple of days. This is not going to be permanent!"
I was so, so wrong.
We've got Trouble with a Capital T.
Meet Trouble, aka "Stinkerbelle" aka "Nala":
She's a 4 month old Something mix. Rumor has it that mix is Chihuahua/Lab although we're all pretty skeptical on the Lab part of the mix. Thing 1 says her litter mates were all much, much larger so maybe.
I'm not saying she's tiny but take here's a good comparison:
She was Thing 1's girlfriend's puppy but Girlfriend just moved to a new place and can't have pets so without asking permission from me, Thing 1 volunteered to take custody.
Again, without asking permission from me. And I was adamant that I did not want another dog to take care of, especially a puppy. I haven't had to deal with a puppy in YEARS!
Sadly, within just a few hours, I was smitten:
TheManTheMyth was smitten.
And obviously, the BabyDaddy is smitten:
Thing 2 is, well, not QUITE as enamored but she does unbend slightly now and then:
Just look at those ears!
Gracie Lou, however, is the lone holdout:
"Why dis stoopid puppee here? Why it in my bed? Why it eat my food? Why it always want to wressel?" Why it not leave me alone? I hate you all. I stick tung out at you!"
Here's some things to know about this here puppy:
1. She's housebroken. I KNOW!!! She figured out the dog door within minutes and goes out on the grass and does her business and then comes running back in. She has not had a single accident in the house. Gracie Lou, on the other hand, crapped on the floor next to MY side of the bed the other night as a "Fuck You" and guess who unknowingly stepped in it and then got into bed? That was fun.
2. She's an Eager Eater. She wolfs down her food and the marches over to Gracie Lou's bowl and tries to horn in on the action. She practically does cartwheels with excitement when it's feeding time.
3. She loves her toys. Plays with them, all of them, throughout the day. When I put her toys away, she immediately goes and drags them all out again.
4. She has yet to destroy anything. Yet. I'm trying to be very vigilant about not keeping anything within reach that I don't want chewed up and when she DOES find something, I take it away immediately and give her one of her toys in exchange. So far, so good.
5. She loves Thing 1 best. He is, after all, Daddy. And she sleeps with him.
6. She's a better running partner than Gracie Lou.
7. She's smart. The 2nd time I took her for a walk around the block, she exactly which house was ours/hers and marched right up the steps. When I tell her, "NO!" she immediately stops and sits. She knows "Stay." And she's incredibly laid-back for a pocket dog.
8. She doesn't like bicycles.
9. She loves to snuggle.
10. She loves to annoy Gracie Lou but also knows when not to push her luck and acknowledges Gracie Lou's Seniority in the household.
I didn't want another dog. I was ADAMANT about not having another dog.
Uh huh, yeah.