Saturday, February 4, 2012

I STAND WITH PLANNED PARENTHOOD

That arrow is supposed to be pointing at me.  Because I stand with Planned Parenthood.

However, my photo is on the OTHER side.  But just humor me, 'kay?

And listen to my story about why I stand with Planned Parenthood.

Actually, READ my story since this isn't Books on Tape.


I was 17, sexually active by choice and neither my partner or I used protection.  Instead, we preferred to roll the dice by using the rarely effective "withdrawal" method, thinking that getting knocked up was something that happened to other people, not to a Cheerleader and her professional motorcycle racer boyfriend.

When I realized I was pushing my luck, I went to Planned Parenthood to get birth control.  And it was during my very first physical exam, the kind where your legs are in stirrups, that I heard the words I hoped I wouldn't hear.

"Looks like a pregnancy here."

After I got dressed, shaking and terrified, a staff member took me to a room to talk to me about my choices.

I could proceed with the pregnancy or I could terminate.  Whichever I chose, Planned Parenthood would guide me and support me.  They did not judge me or try to steer me in either direction. It was MY choice to make, not theirs.


I asked to think about it and went home, shocked, crying and wondering how the hell I was going to tell my parents, let alone my boyfriend.


I never had to make that difficult choice because I started my period that very night.  A week later, I went back to Planned Parenthood and got a 3 month supply of birth control pills.


Over the next several years, I continued to use Planned Parenthood for my health needs, especially because birth control was not covered by my insurance plan.


One of my greatest fears is that women will no longer have the right to decide how, when and if she will bear a child and because of that fear, I will continue to support stand with Planned Parenthood.


Read more stories from real women and how Planned Parenthood saved them.

Please, stand with Planned Parenthood.




1 comment: