Friday, March 18, 2011

Death and grief and sorrow and murder. And weddings. And other stuff.

The other day, an internet friend asked for advice in dealing with all the terrible news that seems to be on 24/7.  Everything is doom and gloom "we're all gonna die!" depressing.

It sucks, is what it does.  It's getting to the point where reading the newspaper means heading straight to the comics.  And "Dear Abby" although some of the letters she gets are pretty depressing.

I KNOW what's going on in the world.  But that doesn't mean I want to be saturated with it.  Along with the radiation cloud that is supposedly heading toward California.  Our local news stations are all up on that, telling people to get thee to a pharmacy and stock up on potassium iodine so now of course you can't find potassium iodine, not that I'm looking.

So seeing as I'm admittedly Shallow and Superficial, I'm going to turn my attention to more lighthearted stuff.

There's a Royal Wedding coming up and I for one want to know all the details.  What will Catherine, formerly known as "Kate," wear?  Yes, yes, I KNOW she'll wear a wedding dress but what will it look like?  Who is making it?  Will she wear a tiara?  I love me a tiara.  I have a couple of my own and they're always fun to wear, even if you're not marrying a future King.

I remember getting my first glimpse of Princess Diana's wedding dress and at the time I thought it was the most beautiful dress EVER.  Huge and pouffy and billowing and that immense train and oh, this teenage girl practically swooned at the sight of it. It was a total Fairy Princess dress.  And the bouquet!  Huge!  I wanted one just like it when I got married, except with pink flowers.  However, the cost of such a massive bouquet caused me to rethink that idea.


TheManTheMyth and Thing 1 left this morning for Idaho to race in the Kenda National Hare & Hound Series.  They're riding up with some other people and based on the call I got about an hour ago, it's going to be a loooooooooooong drive.   Barely 2 hours into the drive, they've already had to replace 2 tires on the trailer.  I told TMTM to look at this as an Adventure, as something he will look back on and laugh and he was all, "Yeah.  Ha. Ha."


It's all my fault, though.  TMTM had wanted to have a trailer hitch put on my car and they would borrow a little 2-rail bike trailer and drive up because it would save a couple hundred bucks in gas than if they had driven up the Big Truck but I had adamantly put the kibosh on that because my car is a lease that gets turned in in 2-1/2 months and this trip would a) put me over my miles and 2) put unnecessary wear and tear on a car that has to be in good condition when it gets turned in and Let's pay $$$$ to save $$!  Yeah, um, NO.


So I've been looking and test driving various cars for when the time comes to get a new car and every car I've shown TMTM, he's immediately looked into the trailer hitch situation so that it can become the transportation of choice to the desert and I got all pissed off at the thought of my new car being ruined by a having a trailer hitch installed and I worked myself up into quite a state before I reminded myself that I don't even have the car yet.  But I'm still mad at even the thought.


I blame the news.


Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and put on one of my tiaras and hope it makes everything a little more happy.







1 comment:

  1. My favorite doctor, Dr. Andrew Weil, recommends taking a "News Fast" now and again for the very reason you stated. People need a break from the constant barage of negative doom and gloom.

    I don't know what kind of car you are looking into getting for yourself, but I have been all over Consumer Reports and fueleconomy.gov scoping out what kind of car I need to get. Mostly I just want it to be red and have good music and climate control. Good gas mileage would be great and help me to stop feeling guilty about driving all over creation and polluting the air.

    Oh! And I got married the same year as Diana and Chuckie, so I was all over the wedding magazines and news about the dress, the ring, every thing! I am also really excited about Prince William's upcoming nuptuals. Those boys deserve some happiness.

    Good post Miss Kelly!!

    ReplyDelete