Wednesday, July 29, 2009

High School Photos: The Missing Years

Last week, the Hot Topic for several of my favorite blogs was High School/Teenage Memories. And since I do suffer from Writer's Block at times, I would jump on the High School bandwagon.

Since photos are the accessories of any good blog, I knew it was time to dig up photos from my high school days, which turned out to be easier said than done. Sister Tracie has boatloads of family photos so on Sunday I headed to her house to pore through hundreds, if not thousands, of photos that are meticulously archived in paper grocery sacks that are then stuffed into cardboard boxes which were then shoved into a cabinet in the garage.

Both of my sisters high school years were amply represented, from their cheerleading days to Graduation portraits to the fancy Pre-Prom party complete with champagne and hors d'oeuvres that my parents held in their honor. Our house was filled with about 50 formally dressed teens who were getting their pre-game buzz on before driving off to whatever hotel the Prom was being held. Two years later, when I went to my first Prom, not only did I not get a fancy party, I had to wear a borrowed dress, do my own hair and makeup and only my dad was home when I was picked up by my date (Bitter Moment #82).

After going through hundreds, if not thousands, of family photos to find my high school photos, I pretty much came up empty-handed. Oh, I did find a few that I had in my own stash of family photos:

JV Yell my sophomore year. Note the lovely perm.


This was taken the last day of school my sophomore year. I was wearing the latest in Cool Surfer Wear with my OP shirt, Lightning Bolt shorts and I'm pretty sure I had baby-blue Vans. My perm had grown out quite a bit. If you look real close, you can see my most prized piece of jewelry: my sterling silver Lightning Bolt bracelet. I loved that bracelet and wore it until it snapped in two.


I couldn't find a single photo from my Junior year and not one school picture from ANY year other than my senior portrait but I did find a couple from my Senior year including my Varsity Yell portrait. Obviously, this was pre-PhotoShop days and I'm rocking yet another perm. I had a love/hate relationship with perms. I kept getting them and I kept hating how they turned out. It took years before I was strong enough to Just Say No to perms.


Christmas Dance with Tom Colunga, a Younger Man (Junior to my Senior).

Most other schools call it "Winter Formal." Not Artesia High School. It was the "Christmas Dance" and was a Sadie Hawkins dance where the girls ask the guys. Tom was just a friend and I was comfortable with him so I asked him, after I found out another girl was planning on asking him. Uh, I don't think so. I loved that dress. Peach Qiana with a leg slit almost up to the hip. I felt so Sophisticated and Sexy. And Cold. Our Christmas Dance took place at the outdoor restaurant of Movieland Wax Museum, down the street from Knott's Berry Farm. It was December and I froze my ass off but hey, I looked good and that's what was important.

Next to my wedding portrait, my Senior portrait was probably the best picture ever taken of me and either the studio did some major airbrushing or I really was 100% zit-free that day:


That's all I've got. High School photos - The Missing Years.

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh. Look at that hair. You were/are gorgeous!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We like compliments, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commented/complimented a few days ago and it didn't post?

    ReplyDelete