Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Post-Christmas Post

Ok, so I survived Christmas but I don't know if I'm going to survive post-Christmas. I talked to my best friend on the phone for about 3 hours the day after Christmas and after I hung up, my throat felt all dry and scratchy but I just assumed it was from the marathon talk session. I wish. I've got a wicked head cold that has knocked me on my butt. The daytime "non-drowsy" cold medicine makes me want to do a face plant into a pillow and I feel like my limbs are made of rubber. The cold medicine I take at night so I can sleep without coughing knocks me out and, according to TheManTheMyth, makes me snore like a lumberjack. And I wonder why George isn't calling. Hmmm.

So Christmas was nice, my seester and her family came out from the frozen land of Colorado but unfortunately, I didn't get to spend as much time with them as I would have liked. The day after Christmas, everyone except me, TheManTheMyth and Thing 1 headed out to Sister Number 2's house in Palm Springs where they will stay until January 2. Thing 2 went with her aunts, uncles and cousins so it's been very quiet around here. I would have loved to have gone but this is my busiest time of year, what with getting everything ready for the 2010 racing season which starts January 10 and since it's our club who puts on the first race of the season, it's been pretty hectic getting all the paperwork and permits and insurance and sanctions and ambulances and portapotties and everything else take care of and being sick is not helping.

Anyway, since money is more than tight this year, Christmas was a little on the small side with the kids each getting just one major gift each. Even though TheManTheMyth and I tell each other we don't want anything, I do like to get him a little something to open. So I thought long and hard about what to get him that he wouldn't get for himself but that he would use. Wanna guess what I got him?

That's right, a Snuggie. Let me say, though, that I hate the commercials for the Snuggie with the heat of a thousand suns. They are the STUPIDEST commercials, not to mention annoying as all hell but TheManTheMyth likes to bundle up with blankets when he's on the couch watching "24" Seasons 1 through 6 on DVD. And according to the Snuggie commercial, if you don't have sleeves on your blanket, you will be incapable of, well, FUNCTIONING because it's the sleeves that give you the ability to eat, change the channel with the TV clicker, talk on the phone, read a book and do a stupid dance in your kitchen while looking like a deranged member of some bizarre cult. Remember that folks, it's sleeves that keep the world from descending into chaos.

So TheManTheMyth opens the Snuggie box and takes out this, this, flimsy tissue-thin piece of cloth that happens to have some sleeves attached. I have no idea how this "blanket with sleeves" is supposed to keep you warm, it's THAT thin. And because it's made out of cheap manmade fibers, you are a conduit for electrical shock when you wear it. We've all given the Snuggie a test drive and we all agree that it's a piece of shit and all I can say is thank goodness I didn't spend much on it. Here's TheManTheMyth improperly "wearing" his Snuggie:
He refuses to "wear" it and frankly, I don't blame him. As for me, I got a pair of those Shape Up shoes:
which take getting used to. The first day I wore them I felt like I was walking taller and straighter and my ab muscles, what few there are, felt like I had been sucking in my stomach all day and were a little tender. I've had people tell me they aren't worth the money and other people say they definitely feel a difference so who knows. I needed new walking shoes anyway.

Ok, I gotta go and take some more non-drowsy cold medicine and hope I can stay awake to process more competition licenses.


1 comment: