Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I'm walking, yes indeed I'm walking

Since my rapidly expanding ass is, well, rapidly expanding, it was time to get off my rapidly expanding ass and get back to Walking for Fun and Exercise. Next to the beach, my favorite local place to go walking is the El Dorado Nature Center, which is located about 1-1/2 miles from my house. Now a smart person, a person who is serious about getting in shape, would WALK the mile & a half to the Nature Center and then walk the trails before WALKING back home, which would be a Serious Workout.

I'm not that person. I DRIVE to go for my walk. That's just how I roll.

Last year, I went walking at the Nature Center every day. I could just feel the pounds and inches melting away and I was feeling pretty good. I had even given up Crack (well, I had cut way down) And then I had my unfortunate off-road accident which resulted in this:

Not only could I not walk, I couldn't even wear a regular shoe and I spent the next 6 to 8 weeks wearing Tar-zhay's version of Crocs. But I digress.

So I wake up this morning and make the decision that I Am Going Walking. So I hop in The Red Rocket and head off to the Nature Center. It's been almost a year since I had last been there so I had to make a decision:

I smartly chose the 2 mile trail. I'm not lying! Despite many walkers having gone through ahead of me, I'm positive that all the spiders waited until they saw me coming and then hurriedly spun their webs at face height just in time for me to walk right into their web. I swear I heard teeny-tiny squeals of laughter at the sight of me flailing at the webs stuck on my face and in my hair.

Other than my flailing and cursing, it was very peaceful:



As always, the critters (pronounced "cridders" in our family) were out and about:

Many critters are happy to pose for the tourists for a small donation of nuts:

Some of the critters are pushy. They will chase you down the trail, begging you to buy some Chiclets, holding up toy baby squirrels and pleading for help. Don't fall for it. As soon as you stop to listen to their sob story, their homies slink out from behind trees and circle you in a menacing manner.

I was lucky to escape unscathed. This time. But they'll be there again. Waiting.

I continued on my walk, peering fearfully over my shoulder to see if I was being followed and saw this sign:

I guess the trails don't want you choosing the non-designated areas and making them feel unwanted and unloved. We must respect their feelings.

I completed my walk, huffing and puffing, dripping with sweat and feeling quite proud of myself. So, I celebrated by heading to the Crackhouse for My Usual. I know, I know. One step forward, two steps back.

No comments:

Post a Comment